Posted on Jun 04, 2021
A successful PPC campaign can be just what you need to produce amazing results for your business...
There are now several ways for businesses to advertise themselves and their products, all thanks to the advancements in technology and the digital landscape. Today, pay per click (PPC) advertising remains one of the most successful methods. The tried and tested form of online advertising can deliver some fantastic results, especially for ecommerce businesses looking to sell their products to their target audience.
However, if you’re just getting started with paid online advertising, you may not know how to run a PPC campaign, let alone generate impressive results.
If you’re looking to step into the world of advertising to drive your results and increase your ROI, we’re here to help. With our helpful guide, we’ll make sure you know everything there is to know about how to run a PPC campaign successfully, as well as share some of our top tips and tricks that we’ve learnt over the years.
What are the benefits of using PPC for your business?
Before we get started, let’s discuss the benefits of PPC and why you should be using it for your business. First and foremost, PPC can have a major, and positive, impact on almost any business and brand. Offering quick entry, measurable results, a wealth of useful data and the ability to complement other marketing channels, it’s likely that if you aren’t already utilising the power of PPC, you could be losing out on valuable traffic and revenue.
Here are just some of the reasons why you should take advantage of PPC marketing:
- It contributes to business goals
- It is measurable and trackable
- It provides amazing targeting options
- It can provide instant results
As a proven and profitable channel for both B2B and B2C businesses, PPC provides a wide range of benefits for businesses looking to grow online.
How effective is PPC?
Perhaps one of the most obvious benefits of PPC is its ability to generate instant results. Unlike SEO, PPC can work extremely quickly to deliver optimal outcomes, such as increasing conversion rates and boosting return on investment. Better yet, these kinds of results can be achieved with manageable investments, when done correctly.
For example, 75% of people claim that PPC ads make it easier for them to find the information or products that they’re looking for. This statistic alone demonstrates the sheer potential of PPC for your business.
How can you measure the success of PPC campaigns?
Another fantastic part of PPC advertising is that the results are measurable and trackable, allowing you to get insightful information about the performance of your campaigns. With insights such as these, you can easily determine what ads are working and why, as well as what ads may be wasting valuable budget.
Here are some of the most important KPIs you should be tracking to help you measure the success of your PPC campaigns:
- Sales lift – if your PPC campaign is designed to improve sales, which for many businesses will be the case, the most important KPI you can track is the number of sales that are coming through.
- Revenue – along with sales, the bigger goal is revenue. This can be tracked alongside sales when you implement purchase tracking on your campaigns.
- Return on ad spend (ROAS) – this is calculated by dividing the revenue by the ad spend and can be used to monitor whether your ad is driving the expected value.
- Profit and ROI – taking other costs into consideration beyond ad spend, keeping an eye on profit and ROI can ensure the campaign is driving value.
- Engagement and audience performance – this is an important metric for campaigns that are focused on awareness and engagement. This information can be found in the Google Analytics
- Campaign health metrics – this includes important metrics such as cost efficiency, click-through rate, conversion rate, impression share, on-site engagement, and quality score.
While specific KPIs may differ depending on your industry and what you’re hoping to achieve from your ads, many of these can be applied across the board.
The steps to PPC success
Below are some of our top tips, tricks, and recommendations for creating, running, and maintaining successful PPC campaigns.
- Begin with your website – behind every great PPC campaign is a properly optimised website. Before you begin your PPC journey, you should dedicate time to ensuring your website is able to work in conjunction with your ads. This includes having strong copy on your landing pages.
- Select an appropriate bidding strategy – with several different kinds of bidding strategies to choose from, it’s important to select one that is in line with your budget, experience, and goals. You can choose from manual bidding which can be suitable for low budgets, or automated budding that, while it may cost more, reduces the amount of time you need to invest in your campaigns.
- Define your budget – the budget is one of the most important factors of a PPC campaign, however, you can still have success with PPC even on a relatively low budget. For example, you can get started with as little as £25 per month, however, £500 per month is ideal if you want to generate enough data and drive measurable results. When determining your budget, you should consider how much you’re willing to invest to drive additional growth in sales and profits, while still ensuring the campaign is worthwhile.
- Research your keywords and choose wisely – acting as the backbone of the entire process, keywords ensure search engines display your ads, and choosing the right keywords can ensure the success of your campaign. To get started, look at what keywords your competitors are using, think about what you’d search for if you were a customer and remember to be specific rather than generic and vague.
- Remember to include call to actions – a call to action (CTA) tells the user exactly what action to take next once they see the ad. It must be clear, concise, and compelling. We’ve written an article on creating great CTAs to teach you more.
- Testing is important – regularly testing your ads can ensure their performance going forward. We recommend performing A/B testing, as it allows you to run two very similar ads side by side to see which one delivers the best results.
If you follow the above PPC best practices, you can expect to generate some impressive results from your campaigns and have a great start to your PPC experience.
Are you interested in PPC campaign management services?
If you’re looking to make the most of your PPC marketing, then relying on the help of PPC experts can get you to where you need to be. Get in touch with the team at Diginius today to find out more about our PPC management services.