The online industry is an increasingly competitive space, often making it difficult for businesses to effectively reach their target audience. Therefore, it’s important to ensure that you’re appearing on as many marketing channels as possible, which is where SaaS ecommerce solutions come in.
Maybe you’re a successful brick-and-mortar store that is looking to expand into the online market, or perhaps your operation has seen significant growth and you’re looking to increase your online sales? If your company is growing or establishing ecommerce channels, then Saas ecommerce software could be the perfect solution for you.
These solutions are not just suited to multi-million-dollar corporations anymore. In fact, there are several SaaS ecommerce solutions available to suit any budget. Below, we’ve listed some of the top platforms to help you find the ideal ecommerce website solution for you.
What is SaaS eCommerce?
Before we delve into our list, you should first understand exactly what SaaS ecommerce solutions are. These platforms are dedicated to allowing businesses to sell their products online, with the ability to bring various departments together under one umbrella to provide a centralised solution for accounting, ecommerce, and order processing, in the cloud, without requiring you to invest in servers, hosting, security, etc.
These types of platforms can be particularly useful for multi-location businesses as they can help to streamline the online experience for customers, as well as help to add more structure to internal operations.
This technology can help to simplify business processes and can oftentimes eliminate the need for software installation and upgrade requirements, as software is continuously updated by the software providers.
SaaS ecommerce solutions can benefit your business in many ways. For example:
- You can have an unlimited number of products and product variations with no limits on online storage.
- You can take advantage of premium web features, such as SSL certificates, single sign-on (where a single login gives you access to more than one service), and content delivery networks for fast rendering of your web pages.
- You can have access to additional tools, such as order and inventory management, CRM features, an integrated POS system and multi-channel features.
- You may have “white glove” customer support, consisting of a personal account manager who can provide training and technical support.
At Diginius, we provide a range of managed ecommerce services, helping businesses to have a fully-functioning and market-leading ecommerce business with our innovative partnership approach.
What types of SaaS eCommerce solutions are there?
As we previously mentioned, there is a wide range of SaaS ecommerce solutions to choose from, with each platform coming with its own unique benefits, from start-ups to large enterprises. Below are some of the top recommended solutions:
1. BigCommerce – this is best for small to medium businesses who are looking for reliable uptime and excellent support. With its open architecture it is also suited for B2B merchants who have more complex business requirements.
2. Shopify– this is best for simple merchants starting out with low levels of complexity or business requirements. Shopify Plus offers easy-to-use software with limited multichannel capabilities. Shopify requires use of their payments and related services, which may constrict growing businesses.
3. VTEX – this is best for medium/large businesses that wish to expand their market reach with a fully integrated commerce solution. VTEX offers its uses with the fastest time-to-revenue with a collaborative approach for B2B, B2C and marketplaces, supporting complex and highly scalable merchants in local regions and globally.
How to choose a SaaS ecommerce platform
Now you are aware of some of the options available to you, you must figure out which one to choose. There are steps you can take to help you with this process. For example, you should look at your target audience and ask yourself if you are a B2C or DTC business. Many ecommerce platforms are designed to suit a particular customer base, and so you’ll want to choose one that is catered to your business needs if you want to get the best results.
We also recommend asking yourself the following questions:
- How can we use the platform to create a customised user experience that accurately reflects our brand?
- Can we use this solution to increase our search engine visibility?
- Will this solution fit our budget?
- Does this solution have all the capabilities that we need?
- Is there a simple way to import data that can be easily understood by internal teams?
- Will this system work with our payment processor?
- Can this solution be scaled to meet our increasing traffic demands?
Once you’ve established the answers to these questions, you’ll be in a better position to make an informed decision on the best SaaS ecommerce solution for your business.
How much do SaaS ecommerce solutions cost?
The cost can vary depending on the platform you choose, which is why it’s important to do your research before making an investment in a particular platform. Each platform has varying functionality and features, and the pricing of the platform will reflect these.
Another thing to consider is that some platforms have different pricing models that you will need to consider. For example, SaaS options have monthly recurring fees that cover their services.
You should also consider costs associated with:
- Set-up and migration fees
- Support fees including hardware and/or hosting/security (if reviewing SaaS vs other technologies
- Costs of manual updates
- Development and integration costs
- Website design costs
Oftentimes, businesses don’t account for these extra costs so it’s important to read into your chosen platform and be aware of their fees.
Are you an ecommerce store looking to grow in 2021?
SaaS ecommerce solutions can be a fantastic way for businesses to expand. If you’re looking for even more ways to improve your ecommerce business, take advantage of our ecommerce analytics tool. We are also partnered with VTEX, helping us to provide even more innovative solutions for our customers.